Studies have shown that a clean environment supports a healthy mind, but how many of us feel like we don’t have time to tackle Spring Cleaning? My solution is to combine cleaning with my daily workout!
Here are a few “must-dos” for a basic Spring Cleaning, but with a fitness twist:
- Wipe down walls and baseboards
- …while wearing a mini band around your ankles! As you move from side to side, make those lateral steps count with the added resistance from your mini band
- Wipe down counters, stovetop, microwave, and inside refrigerator
- …while wearing wrist weights! A set of 1 lb wrist weights will turn your kitchen scrubbing into an upper body burn.
- Wash windows
- …while wearing ankle weights! As you reach to wash the high spots on the windows, add some lateral raises. As you clean lower windows, hold a wide squat. This one is a total body workout, now engaging upper body to scrub, lower body as your base, and core to hold you steady.
- Scrub neglected bathroom surfaces, such as the base around the toilet and hard-to-reach bathtub crevices…
- …and add in core movements while you're on the floor! Fire hydrants, donkey kicks, and bird dogs as you scrub will engage muscles you may have forgotten about.
- Dust hard-to-reach surfaces
- …while dancing to your favorite music! Dancing is not only a great workout but also an incredible mood booster.
- Clean out your closet
- Anything that doesn’t fit or doesn’t make you feel good needs to be donated. Stop hanging on to those “one-day” pieces of clothing. Make room for new workout clothes and pieces that make you feel amazing!
If you feel like you don’t have time to work out or spring clean, let alone both, remember that it isn’t “all or nothing.” Do one thing today that brings you closer to your goals and call that a win. Bonus points if you can combine that ONE thing into TWO by working out while you clean!